About CLET Canadian Latino Experimental Theatre
We encourage individuals with experience or not, to be part of experimental theatre, because we believe that the theater dignifies the artist, and frees the human.
20 Years of Experience
The mission of CLET is to integrate both Latin-American and Canadian cultures. We are committed to give to the community the opportunity to express their creativity through theater and performing arts, supporting the creation and production of artistic work that respects their cultural diversity.
- CLET was founded by the Artistic Director Alexandra Montealegre in 2008.
- Vicky Chiappari, becomes the Artistic Producer of CLET in 2009.
- CLET (Canada Latino Experimental Theatre) as it is known now, began to train new talent as “MIMOS” and consisted primarily of newly arrived members of the Latino community seeking an artistic outlet of expression for their young. Their initial creations, made almost exclusively in the Spanish language, permitted a social and creative environment for the children as they adapted to their new surroundings. With the years CLET (Mimos) morphed into an organization that expanded its reach to members of other communities and began to introduce the natural mixes of English and Spanish with which the children were becoming more familiar. It also allowed Non-Spanish speaking kids to fully participate in the plays.As the subjects progressed into more complex productions CLET saw an opportunity to blend other participants into the plays and reached out to a seniors group called ALCE with similar objectives, thus it now serves as a platform of creativity for other generations (Young and old) and thrives as a vehicle of inclusion and artistic development.CLET directs this group of children, teenagers, young adults and seniors, mostly aspiring actors, in plays that emphasize themes of Unity, Love and HopeThe group has presented several plays in various venues throughout the cities of Mississauga and Toronto during its almost 11 years of operations. Of notoriety, among them, are the following plays:
- In 2008, produce Rin Rin The Tadpole. Written by Rafael Pombo. Adapted and Directed by Alexandra Montealegre.
- In 2009, The little match girl. Written by Hans Christian Andersen. Adapted and by Alexandra Montealegre. Directed by Alexandra Montealegre and Vicky Chiaparri.
- In 2010, produce, The crazy computer. Written by Dayana Ardila. Adapted and Directed by Alexandra Montealegre.
- In 2010 produce Beware, with snow white. Written by Fabian Sevilla. Adapted and Directed by Alexandra Montealegre.
- In 2011 produce, A Christmas Party at the Retirement Home. Written and Directed by Alexandra Montealegre.
- In 2011 produce, The King Salomon and the Vowels. Written and Directed by Vicky Chiappari
- In 2012 produce a Kids Theatre Festival.
- At the right hand of God. Written by Tomas Carrasquilla. Adapted and Directed by Alexandra Montealegre.
- The narrator of the Rin Rin Tadpole. Written by Rafael Pombo. Adapted by Alexandra Montealegre and Directed by Vicky Chiappari.
- In 2013 produce, The Flowers and Butterflies. Written and Directed by Alexandra Montealegre.
- In 2014 produce, The little Prince. Written by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. Adapted and Directed by Alexandra Montealegre.
- In 2018 produce, Waiting for the Hearse. Written by Jacobo Langsner. Adapted and Directed by Alexandra Montealegre.
- In 2018 produce Beware, with Snow White. Written by Fabian Sevilla. Adapted and Directed by Alexandra Montealegre.
- In 2019 produce, Waiting for the Hearse. Written by Jacobo Langsner. Adapted and Directed by Alexandra Montealegre.